Monday 27 July 2015

The Chest

Trodding the untrodden
Into the darkness of the woods
Into the blues of the skies
I see forests, birds squeaking
As the north wind chills the spine
And across comes the ravine
The road’s hostile, the path futile
As I fall into the gorge
My hope crushed
My spine quashed
Will I survive this fall?
I gather my grit, I show some nerve
I scrape and grind through the stones
I sweat, I cry, I bleed, I wry
Carving the way out, but in vain
What hath god wrought?
That I earned such pain
Will such disparity always reign?
I lose everything but my life
Clinging on like an evil memory
Haunting me as I await the fairy
Far I have come, far shall I go
For I know the end is a glow
I get up, stand up, and find a hovel
Dig through it and forth I trail
A shiny stone maybe
Odds and ends, just worthless scrap
Tons of gilt inside a wrap,
For the world I carved
the treasure chest,
Casting the grave, for me

To rest.

3 comments: