Sunday 19 July 2015

A Bittersweet Story

'Wake Up! You have a train to catch.' Mum was furiously trying to wake me up as I had prepared myself to board the train to Burla, my address for the four succeeding years. We had our final counseling on the following day and dad wanted to visit the place a day in advance so we could explore the campus a little more. We were all set with our documents ready. We boarded the Bolangir bound Intercity at Bhubaneswar and with our destination set at Hirakud, a place I had never been before my entire life. Although pretty thrilled, I was equally panicky and fidgety out of the anticipations I had from the land that was alien to me. I tried reading and gathering all info I could about the university and the location on Wiki before deciding to sign up for it. Dad had a friend who worked at MCL in Burla, who very generously had a place booked for us at the Guest House in its company headquarters. Lush green lawns and flower gardens, tennis courts, a golf course, concrete structures painted in white, and not to forget, a helipad. This is the Burla that welcomed me the day I landed there. We were provided a well-furnished air conditioned room that was facing the Mahanadi and delicious food for our halt at the guest house. I was literally in heaven. After wining and dining like kings, we headed to the Sir Visweswaraya Auditorium at VSSUT for the counseling process to begin the following morning.

Indeed a sleepy town. Well, not technically a town but a Notified Area Council, Burla is amidst nature’s bounties. I was introduced to the Power Channel, The Laxmi Dugul Hills and the world renowned Hirakud Dam that morning. I took pride in studying in a land this historic and without a doubt, so picturesque. It took a meager 5 minutes to reach the campus where this colossal granite built gate welcomed us into the University. I had expected the auditorium to be some centralized air conditioned hall. When we finally entered the auditorium, a flight of pigeons went rushing past the roof of this old and faded structure. While sitting, I watched over the ceiling fans that were oddly fitted on the walls at a weird 45 degree angle. Not everything that I had presumed about the university was turning out to be true. It was a little blow to my conscience. But then I don’t easily lose hope. After finishing the counseling formalities, we went looking for the hostels. We then, found Marichi, the first year’s residence and entered the hostel. We saw the rooms that were a little congested. There was some concrete sagging from the roof in one of the rooms. The rooms had accommodated 5 students that were originally designed for 3. Adding to the horror, the seats had increased exponentially that year which forecasted the hostels to be even more jammed. That was definitely some reason to worry.

We had the train back to Bhubaneswar scheduled at 4pm, which gave us some time to explore the market at Burla. There was a strike in Burla that day and most of the shops were forced shut. The auto rickshaw driver tricked us and robbed 40 rupees for the ride to the market from the campus. The atrocities of the place were not helping my edgy state of mind and were making it worse. We didn’t find certain things that we looked for in the market. The thing that kept ringing in my head was “What is this place?” On the ride back I noticed, there were not too many shops nearby the campus which made it grim. This was definitely not the Burla that had welcomed me the previous day. On the way back, I nearly choked and stopped talking to dad which worried him as he wanted me to opt for VSSUT rather than Delhi University. I quizzed myself for taking the decision and never wanted to return here ever again for life. I wished the day was just a nightmare and hoped I could just disremember it.

Little did I know that I would have the time of my life at the very same place that I had condemned the first time. I was oblivious of the adventures that awaited me and the fun I still have at this beautiful abode. Instead of being a crybaby and judging the book by its cover, I could have taken it easy. It was a shear miscalculation. But then, to err is human and there are good days and there are bad, it must have been a bad day when I look back. As far as Burla is considered, fast forward 24 months, it’s my beautiful home and I’m in love with this place. The people here are warm and hospitable and the language Kosli really sweet. Moreover it is the bitter-sweet memories and the times spent with friends that I will cherish for a lifetime. Though not love at first sight, it was love that grew eventually and would forever be a part of my life, my soul.

For the land of Koshal (Progress) :  
“Mate Burla Jaha Bhal Lagsi”- “I immeasurably love Burla”


**To be continued

4 comments:

  1. It really needs to be continued

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL , same feelings here ;) the ' sleepy town ' also happens to be a haven to people who have got fed up with a fast paced, ruckus filled and traffic clogged capital city( a.k.a. ' Bhubensar ' ), the sheer lack of amenities ( not that we enjoy all of them back at bbsr ) both in the ' N.A.C/town ' and the university itself seems like a huge practical joke set up just for urbanites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete