Tuesday 30 June 2015

Secret Wonder

Last night, while surfing through the TV channels, I finally stopped at Romedy Now. It’s a channel dedicated to rom-com movies and it also features situational comedy shows. The Season 6 of the popular sitcom ‘Friends’ was on. Even though I am not a great fan of ‘Friends’ like Siwalik (He’s crazy about the show) I do find it quite hilarious at times. So I watched it for some time until the commercials came on. I shuffled through few channels again, only to find more commercials on every other channel that I browsed through. Surprisingly, some of the commercials are so out of the box that it leaves you wonder at how they come up with such intriguing ideas. From using catchy phrases like “Olx pe bech de”, “Kya Aapke Toothpaste mein Namak hai?” to children acting like grown-ups in the Flipkart ad, the Fevicol’s “Todo Nahin Jodo” during the Cricket World Cup, they have been strategically made and placed, having a lasting impact on the viewers. Certainly, there has been an iconic revolution in the advertising business in the past few years. The commercials don’t just market the product, but are utterly endearing and memorable.


Anyways, I would avert diverting myself from the topic. While waiting endlessly for ‘Friends’ to finally re-entertain my sleepy brain cells with its pills of laughter, I came across the promo of the movie ‘Flipped’. Well, for those who have watched it already know it, but for those who haven’t; Flipped is a well-reviewed rom-com based on the novel by Wendelin Van Draanen. It revolves around the love story of two young people and the teenage love that blossoms into a friendship with time, It is the reverse of conventional rom-coms hence the title. I had watched the movie earlier, so it wasn’t new to me. But what captured my attention was the captivating promo song used for it. I found it enthralling, so I decided to download it. But alas! Only if I knew the name of the album it belonged to. The song was played for a short while so I all I could do was memorize a fraction of the lyrics as I couldn’t find the time to Shazam it. I Googled for the official soundtrack of Flipped but to no avail. The song didn’t belong to the movie. It was just a promo song used by the channel. I struggled for a while and finally found it with much ado. Thanks to a Facebook link for a band called ‘Secret Wonder’ by an ultra-secretive duo Lizzie and Danny. The song is called ‘How the story ends’. It has got a mesmerizing tune and touching lyrics. That made me dig more about the band. So I clicked on the about tab on YouTube. It says “Secret Wonder is the band born out of the love of two people. Secret wonder creates music, videos and secret live performances.” It’s a new band born out of the blue creating ripples online for its indie-electronic music. Do check it out on YouTube.

0 comments:

Post a Comment